View Single Post
Old 07-15-21, 09:02 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 277 Posts
I have a Spot Ajax belt drive with 8-speed Alfine IGH that I use as a commuter/city bike. I don't have a ton of miles on it though because I moved my office and don't commute very often by bike. I like the belt drive for this application because it is quiet, low-maintenance, and you never get grease on your pants. And I'm never that far from home or an Uber ride in case I have a problem (so far, I've never had a single mechanical issue with the bike) I have flat-resistant tires on it that I've never had to change so far. I don't think I would use a belt drive for a road or touring bike only because the IGH is heavy (my bike weighs 28 pounds!) and has more friction and maintenance is more difficult than a traditional chain/derailleur system.
My Co-Motion Pngea Rohloff has a gates belt. No derailleurs and chain makes for reduced maintenance. The itsy bitsy friction that I constantly hear abut is only a thing if the complainer has a well lubricated clean virgin chain on a fixed gear or internal geared bicycle. Let's talk about weight. The shop were I bought my bicycle, had two Co-Motion Amricano's. One with derailleurs and one with the Rohloff drivetrain. They weighed each stock bicycle. The Rohloff weighed 17 ounces more than the bicycle with derailleurs. If you want a good low maintenance bicycle for touring, road, gravel, cyclocross or most any purpose a belt drive is the way to go.

I saw the Ryan Van Duzer video on how not to break a gates belt. I have had my bicycle over 7 years. The tension on my belt has never changed.