View Single Post
Old 09-07-19, 11:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
My point of the lawnchair was to illustrate speed differential between a cyclist and a motor vehicle on a high speed roadway. The bike is basically stopped as compared to a car moving at 55-70 mph. So in fact we ARE sitting in a lawn chair on the roadway, even if not riding a recumbent….
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I agree with your intent, and in practice. Do you regularly dodge traffic when you're not an impediment to travel? With four lanes and light traffic, they can just as easily pass you.

I think we all agree that this is a case of poor positioning, though we disagree how.
Do you mean poor positioning by the driver or the cyclist?
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
… This accident was avoidable. The overtaking driver's responsibility was to not hit anything in front of them. End of Story.

The rider chose his line for his own reasons, flats, upcoming turns, whatever. The rider has a right to use the road and not get killed or maimed as a result.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Not to take sides, but the subject of position on the road is hotly debated..
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
In the “cycling community” there are two schools of thought about riding in traffic:As Far Right as Possible: close to the curb; or Take the Lane to be out there and visible to cars. Bike lanes encourage the former behavior, likely more tolerated by motorists.

Bike lanes are not that wide, but then cyclist is in the “door zone” in danger of opening doors from parked cars.
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Nah, just ride on the shoulder instead of out in traffic.

Of course it helps to monitor cars approaching from behind on roads like this, no matter where you ride. But as a motorist, I would definitely not be expecting someone to be to the left of the rumble strip on a road with this wide of a shoulder. What was the bike rider thinking?...
Originally Posted by trailangel
I'd be riding on the shoulder instead of the fog line.
Originally Posted by JW Fas
It's not the clearest picture with the 720p video, but you can make out the rumble strips. The rest of the asphalt doesn't look the smoothest or cleanest either, so I can see why the cyclist chose the traffic lane.