Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Usually when it is cold and my gloves get wet, it isn't excellent.

More seriously, I have wet-suit gloves (and socks) for extreme cold rain, but I find they don't block the wind, so the layer of water trapped against my skin which is supposed to get warm and insulate me, instead chills to near-freezing.

Better than bare hands, maybe because of slightly more blood flow there than in my feet .... pretty useless for my feet. I still haven't found the "right" gear for near-freezing rain.
These are the best gloves I've used so far in cold rain:
https://www.amazon.com/Giro-100-Proo...dp/B07DTLNK4F/
I have some thick-ish wet suit gloves, but haven't tried them yet.

Not that there are any gloves that will make you "comfortable" in near freezing rain. These make it bearable, at least for me. We rode 75 miles in a steady 36° hard downpour, the whole way. One rest stop, where we talked a fellow rider into making the call of shame. We've both agreed that we will never do a ride like that again, though. For the feet, the only thing that works are Lake or North Wave MTB boots with dry suit leg seals over the tops of them. Our feet were warm and dry on that ride. I had Lakes and my wife had North Waves.

On our tops we had a LS Cratt base layer, a very heavy poly jersey, and a Voler Black Label wind jacket. For some reason, no one makes heavy jerseys like that any more and I can't suggest an alternative. Legs had heavy tights, also not made anymore, but PI AmFIB tights are probably closest, no pad, shorts under. We never wear anything waterproof on our tops. With waterproof, there's no good way to regulate temperature by evaporation. I can't make it 5 miles in anything waterproof before overheating, even the "breathable" stuff. An engine has to be either water cooled or air cooled. Same with riders if they want to produce any power. The trick is to get a wind jacket that admits just the right amount of water.