Old 04-06-22, 04:39 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I don't think "not getting caught" equates to "legal".
No but it's a more grey area in that it's not enforced nor frowned upon by the authorities. Again it's highly variable because more than a few powerlines locally also have part of parks or trail systems for hiking on them that pass through or even rely upon the access road itself for the powerlines as part of their trail so then it really muddies the water.

I know for sure from the town I live in and several neighboring municipalities from personally knowing officials including police that they don't care for hiking and MTB at all and they only crack down on motorized vehicles. They just... don't care. I also know my town's mayor who says as much and even verbalized that locals in search of something to do won't be harassed in those areas as long as they behave respectfully.

So in general there is no one set policy. It's probably less than legal in most places but it all depends on the location. Regardless of law a bicycles combination of speed and stealth is a huge help to reach remote areas and remain un-harassed where others are unlikely to be. Very grateful to have this tool in these times. Very grateful I was into the outdoors even before COVID!