View Single Post
Old 04-28-22, 09:12 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
THE thing to do would have been to saddle up early, point it east and do a long downwind sail until dry land runs out, and take the train back. Wind was from the NW so not perfect, but good enough. How many times have I fantasized about doing that on a day like today. I don't remember if I got a Montauk run in last year. Alas, working tonight.

Glad to see another tick-phobe. I'd trade them for Grizzlies any day.
I still have damaged skin from tick larvae riding in Cathedral Pines last spring. The Permathrin did its job of killing them but only after they got about 40-50 bike marks in 4 different patches per leg. Haven't been back there since, edgewood hasn't been an issue, I think 2 ticks between 5 people on a dozen rides last year.

Wind was rough, oldest kid and I met up with her star track team for some road training at Old Westbury college campus, but we discovered that her bike's rear der battery had died and she was stuck in a 40/28, that let her get up most of the climbs easily but made keeping up on the flats and slight downhills a little rough. Still did two laps before deciding it was too difficult to keep up. Looks like we need to get a second battery to keep this from happening again.