Old 12-07-20, 11:08 AM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by prime winner
I've got those Continental Speed Ride tires and have completed 2 rides for 20 miles total. My last ride (not counted in those two for 20 miles) I only made it a little less than 4 miles before I wiped out. I took a right turn too fast , hit some soil/debris on the entrance to a parking lot and down I went. I'm not going to say I think the tire was at fault but I don't know if it helped. I haven't decided if I'll switch back to my stock Bontrager H5 tires or not. Maybe just for peace of mind. Those Speed Ride tires have some funky looking tread on them. I also didn't notice a performance improvement when I switched to the Speed Rides, but I had only been on 4 rides for 60 miles with the H5's.
So after a month off from riding I was able to go out for a 10 mile ride Friday. My knee from the wreck above felt fine during the ride. I was extremely comfortable with the knee. Not so much the Continental Speed Ride tires though. I know it is probably a mental hurdle but it's still a hurdle. I felt a little anxious when turning and even walked the bike instead of riding over bridge grating. I thought about putting the factory Bontrager H5 tires back on the bike but am also considering the Schwalbe Marathon tires ( maybe Plus if I can find them for under $100 for the pair with shipping/tax), in the 700 x 45 size. I'm not looking for speed or extreme performance, just a wide comfortable tire that has good protection from flats. Does that sound like the Schwalbe Marathon tires?

Edit : I ride 95% on pavement and occasionally on packed dirt/stone.

Last edited by prime winner; 12-07-20 at 03:09 PM.