Old 07-17-21, 10:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1300 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked 5,837 Times in 2,297 Posts
With my publicist @Andy_K pimping a 100km ride from Col d'Kaylor to Vernonia, I figgered it was time to enter the insane asylum of the Clunker Challenge. His ride is next weekend, so I figured it might be a good idea to start wrenching.

My selection is a 1976 Raleigh Super Course, picked up 2 years ago for $50 with the idea it would become a 1X townie/grocery getter bike. It's one of the rarer ones with a derailleur hanger rather than a claw. A little ratty when I picked it up, and almost nothing OEM for parts except for the main bearings, both of which are greased with something more like epoxy vs, well, grease.

52-48 TA crankset, SunTour VGT rear derailleur, Campy shifters, mismash of other parts. The B17 saddle is torn and shot, the BB and HS bearings are either full of not quite fully cured epoxy or th grease is less than most excellent.

Tear down showed the non-drive side crankarm was some Sugino thing. At least the brakes are maybe original.

First issue to resolve, this frame has Huret rear dropouts. I guess Nigel grabbed some from the Super Tourer/Competition bins and torched them in place. Problem: 4 o'clock derailleur stop, made for some Huret derailleurs. Jubilees are nice, but pricey, and I've done several conversions, brazing in some brass stock, filing it to a standard 7 o'clock stop position:

Frame cleaned up kinda ok, this will be a patina build.