View Single Post
Old 06-29-20, 09:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by roskobosko
I have not but I think I will need a hydration pack type solution for the MTN bike after losing a water bottle riding my hybrid on a paved path yesterday trying to catch a couple of E-Bike riders. I passed them in some curves and they left me in the dust on a hill. I chased them for 5 miles but could never quite catch up. I went to get a drink at the end of a 27 mile, 1,100 ft ride, no water bottle in sight LOL, at least it was the end of the ride.
That's why I use only King cages. I used to race when very few of us had support handing up water bottles. A lost bottle could sabotage a race. Hence I used only the reliable TA caged (this was the '70s. King hadn't started yet). After TAs were no longer available in the US market, I went through a string of cages that broke or shed bottles until I learned of King. The Kings. being quality metal and welds, can be bent to customize the retention.

(And a story on TA and their cages - long after they stopped marketing to the US, mostly because everyone wanted lighter and sexier, TA kept making their steel cages because the lesser known professional riders in Europe insisted. The riders who work their butts off for their team leader, then fall back to just finish inside the time limit. If they lose a bottle on a bumpy mountain descent, they may be cooked and still suffering the next day when they arew supposed to suit up and do it allover again. 40 extra grams of bottle cage to then is peanuts. Losing a bottle long after the team car has gone miles up the road could cost them next year's contract.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney: