View Single Post
Old 09-17-21, 07:42 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked 3,135 Times in 1,974 Posts
My two cents.
#1 It seems to be the right size for you and it is a Ciocc, a rare and beautiful bird. You will regret letting it go, in my opinion. In fact, it is a legacy bike that wouldn't be horrible to refinish.
#2 There are several groupsets that would be more appropriate, a few of which are currently advertised in CV sales (which requires membership which is cheap and worth it), and would not require cold setting the frame for clearances.
~~Campagnolo Victory/Triomphe might be reasonable, if you wanted brifters, Chorus, Athena, or you could go lower priced toward Veloce
~~Shimano Tri-color would be crisp shifting and a group could be had somewhat reasonably. You can get early brifters for them
~~If you wanted to go a bit more modern you could go Tiagra with brifters

And for what it is worth, absolutely C and V. And would be a fun bike to restore. This would be the direction I would take if I wanted to update the Ciocc. https://www.ebay.com/itm/30414823040...QAAOSwULBhQoDj

Originally Posted by WhatTheDelromi
I was going to post this under Classic and Vintage, but was afraid it would get flagged as miscategorized.

A few months ago I bought a very used late-70s CIOCC racing bike at a flea market. I liked it for its unusual name. Then I picked it up and was basically sold ($500) because of how light it was.

Mechanically it's a bit Frankenstein. Original Campy shifters were replaced with Shimano integrated (they beyond repair), the chain is the wrong size for the cassette, etc. I got a quote from my trusty bike repair guy to replace the system with new Campy integrated shifters. I would also need new rims to match the new hardware. Estimate came in at just over $1K. (Keep in mind these are New York City prices.)

I don't have total sticker shock except that it's twice what I was expecting. Apparently the right parts are hard to find in this market.

My initial instinct was to maybe sell the bike and buy a more conventional vintage road bike and the transaction wouldn't cost me a dime (I posted an ad on CL for $750 and quickly got a response and there's a lot of local vintage stock in the 300-400 range). Or throw $1K into her and be done with it.

I'd be more inclined to invest in the repairs if the body was clean. One of the things I liked about the bike was how scratched up it is (less likely to get stolen). That said, if I'm going all out on the mechanics, it got me thinking about restoring the frame. I don't even know where to begin with that...

So I am curious to see if people here have an opinion. I ride mainly for recreation and errands. Not looking to ride the Tour de France... But I'm also 6'4 and 220 pounds, so I really want a light frame.

If you're of the "replace" side of the divide, I'm open to recommendations of new light weight models that are currently on the market that won't break the bank but are still in the style of the original road bike.

Thanks!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super