View Single Post
Old 09-26-21, 07:54 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Interesting/useful/helpful comments on the Sawyer. On backpack trips many years back we used iodine, but then eventually switched to First Need and then to Katadyn, which I guess is MSR now. We also now have a Sawyer mini. The First Need/Katadyn/MSR have pumps. If I know we are travelling in areas constantly without treated water, I would still want a pump since I can obtain significantly more water in relatively little time. For 2 people, the pump is worth the extra weight/volume, having copious amounts of water is good.

On some bike tours, it is not clear that treated water is always available. For these tours, when a water filter is unlikely to be used much, we like the Sawyer mini because its weight and volume is less. While gravity filtration is slow (or faster with the squeeze bag), we are ok with once-in-awhile versus using the bad taste of chemical treatments. Our recent tour was in part on Michigan M28 in the UP, near and east of Lake Gogebic. This and other parts of UP are remote, but we found treated water. Still, nice to have a backup other than chemicals.