View Single Post
Old 09-27-21, 05:43 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Nice summary.

I have always managed to backflush with something other than the syringe, which I don't carry and have probably misplaced long ago. The smartwater bottle you mention is one way. Even holding it firmly against a water hose or some faucets works well enough.

Depending on how silty or muddy and how much water you will be filtering choosing between the Mini and the larger model can give a bit less weight vs quicker filtering and less frequent need for back flushing. I usually find the Mini adequate.

Cyccommute's issues with it seem to suggest that a quick check that it isn't clogged works before taking one that has been in storage on a trip might be in order. That seems like a better solution than giving up on them to me. The Sawyer Squeeze and Mini type filters and their ilk have enough advantages that my MSR Sweetwater is unlikely to ever see use again. The MSR is rated at only 400 gallons and the new element costs as much as two new Sawyer mini filters that supposedly will filter up to 100,000 gallons each..

I have never experienced the problem with the clogging after storage, but if it is something that backflushing with a waterbottle won't remedy (is it?). The mini is cheap enough that if I was worried about that I'd have a new spare on hand and if my used one wasn't working when I was ready to head out I'd grab the new one.

Cyccommute"won't risk" them, but I don't really see a risk. Just check the filter before you head out. I have only ever heard of the problem he mentions in a long term dried out filter. Just checking before you go would rule out that risk. I suspect it is a pretty rare issue any way and a new filter is what $20? At 2 ounces you could even carry a new spare.

I guess to me the real question comes down to how common or rare was the failure Cyccommute experienced and is it something that can be avoided by simply checking before any trip where the filter has been in storage long enough to completely dry out. Or is that even required? Required in some climates?

I have never had a problem with my hollow fiber filters and have been pretty lax in their care and feeding. Basically I just use them and bring them home, take them out of the ziplock bag, and put them on the shelf until the next trip. I have even forgotten to take one out of the ziplock for months, probably a big no no and had no obvious issues. I did run some water/bleach solution through it both directions to flush it out before use that time.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-27-21 at 06:33 AM.