View Single Post
Old 03-19-23, 09:32 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Any LEO can look up your driver's license on their squad car's computer; and since cyclists generally aren't required to have driver's licenses anyway, even that is pretty unlikely to ever happen. So, no need to carry a DL, unless you might want to stop for a beer after riding.
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
While this may technically be true, I've heard of situations where if you're being ticketed for a violation (eg. running a red or whatnot), and you can't prove your identity, they can confiscate the bike and/or bring you to the station until your identity is verified.
I'm rather skeptical of this, especially since a LEO can easily access your DL (complete with photo, to verify identity) from the computer in a cruiser. In other words, they can prove your identity quite easily, just from your name. And do you really think a cop wants the hassle of confiscating your bike over a minor issue? I don't.

Also, this might be dependent on the state. In at least one (of the seven) states in which I've lived, there wasn't a requirement to even carry the DL while driving a motor vehicle.
Likes For Koyote: