Old 04-23-20, 08:39 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Did a Zwift race last night, so figured I'd post here.

It was the 3R Volcano Flat Reverse 50k (A)

I had no clue what to expect for a race this long, and I'd only done one other B race that I just rode away from (no A category available). At the start it at LEAST 10 people were doing 8-10 W/kg. I assume this is to maybe create separation between the villains and the people that just want to "hang on". The first 30 seconds showed a NP of 507W for me, so it was about par for a crit. The first 10 miles were "brisk' and it settled down into somewhat of a groove. The pack was slowly being whittled down by little punches. Every tiny rise in the road saw dudes going for gold at 7 W/kg. I got caught sleeping on one of them while I was texting and didn't realize it until I was already being spit off the back, so a minute at FTP put me back into the pack quicker than I imagined.

Overall, I was getting mentally bored near the end. Staying in the pack was low tempo wattage with small kicks near FTP. Average watts for the whole race was 280W for 1:06:56 (4.1 W/kg), NP was 295W.

I'd never done a sprint in a Zwift race, so the finish was...something. I found myself at the front (because you can just ride "through" dudes) so I backed off the wattage in order to use the pack as an aero springboard. I still went WAY too early. I quickly ran out of gears on my bike, and you can see it in the power readout. You can see shifts followed by small wattage increases, then one final "let off" for a shift that never came, then the RPM's just keep climbing until death. Sprinting on rollers takes some practice, and I haven't done a ton of it. I had the highest 15s W/kg of the group at 13.9.

I ended up getting third on Zwift Power behind two Asian riders (surprise surprise).

Last edited by Cypress; 04-23-20 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For Cypress: