View Single Post
Old 06-23-21, 03:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Cycling question of the day:

You're waiting at a stoplight. A driver in the left lane rolls down her window and, in a non-hostile but Karenesque tone says, "You know, this isn't the safest highway to ride a bike on. There's a sidewalk up ahead." How do you respond?
Usually it would be something like..."I'm good. Thanks."

If I know it's going to be a long light, and I'm feeling a bit snarky..."Thanks for your concern, but it seems you're unaware that bicycles are not allowed to be ridden on the sidewalk, by law. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. State Vehicle Code mandates that bicycles are to be ridden on the road, where they have to follow the same laws - and are afforded the the same rights - as cars. I'm also familiar with this road, and know what I'm doing. Have a nice day!" At some point in that, she will probably regret the decision to offer "helpful advice" and will reach for the button to roll her window back up. Sometime later that day, she will post on her social media about the snotty cyclist that was so rude to her when she was just trying to be nice.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-23-21 at 03:37 PM.