Old 07-23-18, 08:02 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Well,...the specs stated 7005 series, and that's what I'd expected. Not a deal breaker for me,...but food for thought for others.

OK,...a few thoughts on the bike. It's amazingly slowwwwwww. On the 7th gear, highest, I max out at, maybe, 12mph? It's more of a cruise about town kind of ride.

According to Sheldon Brown's gear inch calc, this is the gear inches:

For 16 x 1.5 / 37-305 tire with 170 mm cranks

With SunRace 14-16-18-20-22-24-28 7-speed Freewheel Cassette

46.1, 40.4, 35.9, 32.3, 29.4, 26.9, 23.1

If these numbers are correct, I'll need a somewhat bigger chainring. I don't mind low gearing,...my stamina is pathetic,...buy it's a bit too low. This will be my first upgrade.

Now, build wise, it's pretty solid. There's a bit of flex in the handlepost, but I'd expected that. Nothing serious,...not like anyone will be standing up and grinding/mashing anyways. The frame is nice and stiff, and the wheels are well built. The Kenda tires even go up to 65psi (nice, low resistance). I luv that it comes with fenders, and the fact there's no magnets is actually a plus IMO. There's a nice velcro strap that's included to secure the halves of the bike together, and I find it being included a welcome relief. I use a velcro strap on all my bikes, as the magnets are deceptively unreliable.

Now, before I'm asked about rolling while folded, it's possible, but ONLY if you remove the rear fender (one wheel rolling). The small splash guard on the fender will rub on the ground. I value keeping dry over 1 handed rolling,...

Shifting is smooth, and there's no missed steps. The handgrips are ergo, and quite nice. I also, surprisingly enough, like the included seat. it's more comfortable than I'd expected it to be. The seatpost is also long enough to accomodate my 5'11" height.

Overall, I like the bike, and I'll definitely be keeping it. I'll also be swapping out the chainring. The gearing is just a wee bit too low. Still,...a low priced, nicely built & spec'd winner.

Last edited by tds101; 07-23-18 at 08:08 PM.