Old 09-11-20, 04:48 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,997 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I totally disagree, and that is coming from a retired forester with 47 years experience. I echo billridesbikes' post.
Do a search for "fire return interval" and it will give you an idea of how 75 years of stomping out every small fire has actually increased the size and intensity of many fires today.

In Ponderosa pine timber type, which is common in eastern Oregon, the fire return interval was about 10-15 years in much of the area. This would reduce the amount of young undergrowth trees, ladder fuels, which made future low intensity fires in the area the norm, while leaving most of the larger trees unharmed.

For timber types west of the cascades the fire return interval was about 200 years. Most of the fires in this type were large and intense because of the tremendous fuel accumulations during that relative long period. Look at the Tillamook Burn history for a good example.

This is just a thumbnail sketch; you can find reams of papers written about this subject.

Contrary to popular opinion, Smokey the Bear was not as much a friend of the forests as he was made out to be. Yes, there are many times when it is necessary to suppress wildfires as quickly as possible. There are other times when thinning and controlled prescribed burns can reduce fuels and get the forests back into a more natural composition. California fires are another matter due to the fuel types.

And yes, Global warming is real!
LOL, I think my post was not very clear. I'm talking fire prevention methodology not quickly putting out a fire.