Old 09-26-21, 08:07 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Just looking for ideas or opinions what to do.

My kids are 8 and 10 and both a bit timid. I signed them up for the free 5 or 8min kid's lap at the local cross race. The director emailed to ask me to move them to the junior field. I did sign them both up for free USAC under my account so they could sign up for the 5 to 8min race. The director said for the first race a group comp'd the entry fees.

That's fine, but really, my kids aren't fit enough and don't own bikes of a style they're going to enjoy lining up for a 30min race. They have heavy kid's mountain bike things, have to push a good amount on a few of the little rises, take a good bit to figure how to get a bike over a barrier when I bring my practice ones out, etc......... I can usually get a jog workout lap in easy at the pace they ride the practice course at.

I had told them they're coming with me to this event. Now don't know what to do.

Knowing my kids I know they would not be down for suddenly lining up with the local light bmx bikes that do this routinely I don't know what to do.

Maybe ask when they take the tape down and bring them back before they do and just ride as a family with the tape up?

I just feel they aren't there yet to get in the junior race. I'd have to tell them just to bow out under the tape when they're "done" and I come find them and walk them back. Which feels stinky.

I can't find any fault on the part of the race here, is what it is. Just wondering how you would handle this or how your local area handles "in betweener" kids too old for push-bike laps but not ready for a 30min junior entry.
Where are you racing? My kids are getting involved and would like to meet up with other kids as well. We're racing the NJ, CT, eastern most PA and Hudson Valley but only on Saturdays. Have to work Sundays.