gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Perhaps a better touring phone

[UPDATE]
I've used this e-ink phone as my main phone for about a month. It is a competent device with, unfortunately, a fatal flaw -- the custom ROM isn't recognised as a safe platform by some applications. No banking app wasn't a problem for me (you can always used the www interface), but Canada now requires anyone entering the country to use the "ArriveCan" app, which, for security reason, checks if it runs on an unmodified Android system. So I am back to a Galaxy class device.
[/UPDATE]

Just wanted to draw your attention on what could turn out to be an excellent touring phone. I've received mine a couple of weeks ago and it is now my go-to phone, replacing a Galaxy S10. (attached is a screen capture)
  1. E-ink phones consume much less energy compared to AMOLED/OLED devices. I can easily run my A5 4 days between recharges and once I am done fidgeting with the settings, I expect to get up to 6 days per charge. I bet on 2 weeks per charge on tour (phone off except for a couple of hours a day, processing mail, reviewing route, etc.)
  2. Unlike AMOLED/OLED displays, e-ink displays are perfect for outdoors. The more sun, the better. One could type a cue-sheet and it will be perfectly readable in direct sunlight while needing almost no battery power (probable autonomy of 2 weeks in inactive but powered state).
  3. If you can put up with a few system quirks and live outside Instagram/TikTok universe, it is much cheaper than the more recent flagship phones.

On the negative side:
  1. No NFC chip so, no Google Pay. You'll have to relearn to use credit cards.
  2. Displaying detailed maps in grey-scale is challenging, but there are solutions. I've written a grey-scale theme and am quite pleased.
  3. There are also comments regarding 4G in the US (I could expand if someone asks)

Last edited by gauvins; 12-14-21 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Longer term review
Likes For gauvins: