View Single Post
Old 03-16-23, 07:53 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
IMO, the entire cutting out a headset theory makes no sense, nor does comparing it to seatpost

Seatposts have plenty of surface area for potential binding, compared to the 10-15mm depth of a head cup.

Also sestposts are pulled from the blind side, vs. headsets which are easily pushed from the bottom.

Lastly, this is an aluminum frame, so galvanic corrosion isn't likely, nor does any evidence of it show in the photo.

Of course ANYTHING is possible, and we'll never know.

So why waste so much time on it.

‐‐-----------'

A last thought offered for whatever it may be worth.

In my 50 years working with all sorts of mechanics, in various contexts, I've found that those most boastful of their skills and credentials are usually the ones on the shakiest ground.
Someone already pointed out the discoloration that looks cleaned up inside the tube. Why wouldn't an aluminum frame get galvanic corrosion from contact with the steel headset race?

I didn't boast. He asked. But it seems to keep coming up because of the incredibly bonehead discourse offered by 'mechanics' on this subforum. Some of the most ridiculous being:

The competing theory is that Colnago made one and only one aluminum frame with a special off-center slot in the headtube that they painted only the bottom but not the sides.

I don't know what happened for sure. But this looks exactly like what happens when someone tries to cut something with an outside corner that obscures the underlying part and they get tunnel vision on trying to get the cut all the way through. So that's why I mentioned what I think it is.

If anyone has photos of another Colnago made this way, please speak up.