View Single Post
Old 03-08-24, 06:13 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
Quite the commute today and this week. This is the first time since the winter of 2010/11 where I biked to work every day. Last time I did that was out of necessity when my only means of motorized transportation was down for a few months. This time, however, has been because I could and wanted to.
Additionally, I took the "race" bike (just my lightweight carbon road bike) for the commute to see how fast I could clear the 3 miles to work. A block in, I had to stop to adjust the magnet, it had slipped down a hair on the spoke but was enough to keep the pickup for the speedometer from registering. Despite that slight hiccup, I was able to get to work in 9 and a half minutes, moving time. Quick considering that factors in the slowdowns for a few 4 way stops and two traffic lights. Actual elapsed time was over 10 thanks to stopping to adjust the speedo magnet on the wheel, plus a brief wait for a red light, but still happy about it all. Fastest time yet. It was chilly, frost still on the roofs of cars in the shade but at 7:30, the sun had been up long enough to warm the air temp up to about 40. I was in a t-shirt and shorts so it took a couple miles to warm up. Once my limbs got good and warm and the heart rate was up, I was able to really hoof it the last mile and kept a healthy 24mph, not something I can achieve on flat ground on an old, heavy-ish touring frame with Schwalbe Marathons.

Next week will be back to my normal commute, both in speed and consistency.