Old 08-08-22, 11:42 AM
Openroad2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zacster
The problem with respacing a Shimano cassette is that a 10sp Shimano hub is too narrow and does not line up if you can manage to put it together. If you do 10sp with spacers on an 11sp hub it works because there is extra space. But that's the rub. If you have an 11sp wheel you likely also have an 11sp setup. And if you don't have the setup why would you buy a wheel just to make this work?

I did the spacers on my trainer because it came with an 11sp freehub but my bike was Campy 10. An 11sp freehub is 1.8mm wider than the 7-8-9 hubs and 1mm wider than a 10sp Shimano. I wouldn't do it on a wheel though. I was an early buyer of the Wahoo Kickr Core trainer and they hadn't made them with a Campy hub, but I think they do now. But 11sp is cross compatible anyway.

It's a 15 year old thread. They didn't have 11sp wheels to build on. That's why all of these kluges were needed. The Shiftmate may have worked, but the shop I bought my 10sp Campy bike from told me to just buy a Campy wheel. Why spend $3500 on a new bike and then depend on a kluge?
1. DT Swiss 240 11 speed road Freehub BODY (that is what counts) is 1.8 mm longer than 10 speed Freehub BODY. That is enough space for cog spacers.

2. From 10 speed to 11 speed, you do not need to purchase a whole wheelset. A simple freehub body swap will turn your 10 speed wheelset to 11 speed. If your wheel manufacturer does not support this conversion, I am sorry you are scammed.

I am not sure how many people rate their 11 speed Campagnolo groups higher than their 10 speed Campy groups. I tried a pre-2014 Chorus group. Does not have the Campy feeling. Stay with my 10 speed Campy.

And a 10 speed Record 8 piece group is less than 2000g, Chorus is 21xx. Hard to beat these numbers. Plus if you stay with Chorus and Record, almost every single piece can be serviced and rebuilt, not just the shifters. That is a lot of fun.

The re-spacing of Shimano/SRAM cassettes for campy group simply gives the 10 speed Campy group a potential to run larger range cassettes. I believe Campy 11 speed has 32T and 12 speed group has 34T offerings. The re-spaced Shimano/SRAM 10 speed cassettes can reach the same range, saving you the cost for a complete Campy group.

If you want to go with Shimano/Sram 11 or 12 speed groups, that is a different story.