Old 06-19-17, 09:40 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Saying that, "Not sure what this 9s nonsense is about. Sure, the P1 pedals go to sleep when not in use. In fact all power meters do this to preserve battery life, although the exact mechanism for waking them up may vary. My Powertap wheels do the same thing and it's a total non-issue." illustrates that you don't know how important the first few seconds of any standing start time trial event are. There is a reason that PowerTap power meters are not popular on the track If you asked, maybe you'd find out why p
Sorry, but if you're claiming that there's a 9s delay in getting data from the P1's, you need to back that up with facts. As far as I can determine it's just not true. As long as you ensure the pedals are awake, you won't be missing data from your standing start. Maybe you'd rather not have to deal with that step but for me it's a worthwhile trade-off for the other advantages of the pedals.

If you want to argue that SRM is the best option for measuring power on the track that's fine. I'll even agree with you.

But if you're arguing that anything less than an SRM you might as well just use HR and speed, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Saying, "I know a lot about road riding/racing. How hard can track be?...lol" is like saying, "I know how to play electric guitar. How hard can classical guitar be? There aren't even any pedals or amps to deal with...lol" Again...similar but very different.
Except that I didn't say that. I said I understood the benefits of training and racing with power. I still have plenty to learn about the track, but my focus on the track will still be the endurance side of things, not sprint. So when it comes to using power to pace and judge interval workouts, or analyze race results, yes I expect there's some carryover even if there are differences.

Further, I'm very familiar with power meters and their pros and cons. I'm also very familiar with data collection and analysis. I wrote that post to possibly save people some money and help them understand that they aren't missing anything by not having a power meter.
OK, but the topic under discussion wasn't whether a power meter is worth it or not. The topic was whether there are any track-specific limitations of the P1 pedals and if so what are they. You seem to feel there are, but haven't given any compelling arguments to back up that position.