Old 02-03-20, 10:25 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Tundra_Man , those cards / readers work by proximity, not movement of the card. I had the habit of wanting to wave the card, increasingly furiously, when the gizme didn't read it. Evidenty a rather common reaction; they guy who manages our system saw me doing it one time, and suggested I just put the card close to it, and just hold it there for an extra second or two. Bink!
Came in this morning and had them issue me a new card. Apparently since they went to their new system a couple years ago the wires embedded in the badges are fragile and frequently break. They said they replace a couple of them every day that start acting exactly like mine.

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 886:

Kind of a tough ride in this morning 26F this morning with a strong headwind, but the big story is ice. We had temps in the upper 30s over the weekend which made all of the rutted ice even more rutted. Plus some of the snow melted and then re-froze creating large sheets of glass smooth ice. I had at least a half dozen close calls where my wheels started slipping out from under me, but most of the time I was only going 4 mph so I managed to get my feet down and stay upright.

My sister-in-law gave me a GoPro last night as a gift. She thought I could film some of the more interesting portions of my commute. I'm going to order a mount so I can put it on my handlebars. That should be fun to play with.