View Single Post
Old 03-01-21, 09:08 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
If you never go very far, rolling resistance and windage doesn't really matter on an e bike but most people will run into range difficulties sooner or later. Even though I have a fat e bike, rolling resistance and wind resistance still mean a great deal to me and I pay attention to them. Now that may sound silly but on an e fat bike it can make a great deal of difference in range, ability to carry a load and ease of riding without power. If you are down in the 12-15 mph speed range, paying attention to rolling resistance can double your range. Likewise rolling resistance matters when you want to carry more load at longer ranges. Also, batteries weight a lot and are more expensive than paying attention to tires.
If you are riding in the 17-20 mph range on a fat bike, paying attention to windage and minimizing it as much as possible can greatly extend range. Range can be very critical with a head wind on a high windage fat bike. You may not have enough range for your ride or your ride can be very slow.
No, I have the right bike. It pedals like a dream compared to other cheap fat e bikes I have ridden. No need for a throttle and I don't want a skinny tire bike.