Old 06-08-21, 05:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I rode it seven years ago, so a lot of my info is dated. That said, I wrote up my observations at this post if you are interested:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/9...l#post16933424

Also, I started in late May, rode shorter distances per day than you plan to, rode thru Jun, so my weather experience and quantity of traffic experience was quite different than you will encounter. But there might be some trivia in that post that comes in handy.

I put all the hiker biker sites onto my tablet in a GPS app, got the raw data from the state park websites, that way we could plan our distance each night for the next day because we stayed at hiker biker sites whenever we could. Doing something like that might be a useful planning tool to have along. Since we planned each day on a daily basis, that was one of the more useful planning things we did ahead of time. But we were retired, so we did not have a specific timetable to finish like you have.

And you will always remember the day you rode across Golden Gate bridge.

I had a really bad shimmy in my bike, so bad that when I got home I put the frame in the metal recycling bin. Maybe I used my brakes more than you will on the downhills because of that shimmy, but I think it would be prudent to bring a spare set of brake pads if your pads are somewhat worn before you start. I did not wear thru my pads and had a spare set for one wheel, but my brakes where shot when I got home.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: