Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I do not have one. If you just want dimensions and measurements, this may help:
https://www.tubus.com/fileadmin/user...iry_TZ_1.0.pdf
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I actually have several of them but I don’t use them for panniers…at least not traditional panniers. The deck is a bit narrow for my tastes. I use a Tubus Cargo on my road touring bike. It gives more space and support carry a tent and sleeping bag on the rear rack. I couldn’t carry the tent and sleeping bag in that orientation on the Airy. The bags would work in a perpendicular carry to the rack but the rack would provide only minimal support.
I do use an Airy on my bikepacking bike and have fashioned a micro pannier set for it. I use an Ortlieb rack adapter to carry a trunk bag most of the time when not touring. The Airy isn’t a good fit for trunk bags because of the deck’s narrowness.
You can see the rack adapter here.
Close up. I use this rack adapter on all my bikes. I’ve found it to be much more secure than Velcro straps. I could carry the bike around by the trunk bag if I wanted to.
I used an Ortlieb basket adapter and a plastic sheet to make the base for the micropanniers. I use this same basket adapter on a Racktime Trunkit for my regular riding.
I used two Rock Bros handlebar pockets for the “panniers”. They have around 5L of volume for each one which is enough room to carry 5 to 6 days of freeze dry meals. My bikepacking is usually quite remote so I don’t cook. I only boil water.
What the bags look like close up.
Here’s a picture of one of my bikes with the Trunkit on the rack
DSCN0387 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
That Trunkit is probably 20 to 25 years old and still going strong. It’s never come off the bike no matter how rugged the terrain.
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I have it and I use it
Thanks Tourist in MSN, I had already found that, but it didn't quite have the info I was chasing.

Thanks PedalingWalrus.

Thanks cyccommute for all the photos, they actually answered most of my questions, Did you bend the rack the stay/s? if so are they hollow or solid titanium.

I don't really use trunk bags, so that's not a deal breaker. I normally just use a top tube bag on top of the rack, not a full fledged trunk bag, but it looks like even that might be tight with the Airy. I do quite like the fact that the rack is narrow, it makes me think the panniers will be tucked in close, drafting my legs better. Its just a a shame it doesn't have a lower pannier rack rail.

Although at this stage I cant even find a Tubus Airy in stock anywhere. I did look into having a custom TI rack made up, figured that would solve the availability issues, but I was quoted double to cost of an Airy, so that is my last resort.

Parts shortages are killing me with my new bike build at the moment, cant seem to get a whole stack of parts I need, a titanium B17 is impossible to find. I have a 4-5 month wait on my frame bag. I was going to wait until the end of the year to see if the new Dura-Ace would be released, so I could get a set of new brake rotors, but since I may not be able to get the rotors even if they are released, I settled for a set of the XTR rotors, since I couldn't even find the current Dura-Ace rotors in stock anywhere.