View Single Post
Old 10-07-11, 03:25 PM
el_spumante

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those who want to see it, my first English 3-speed: 1974 AMF-Hercules! https://picasaweb.google.com/randybr...49357163037602

Thanks to all of you who helped me evaluate the different bikes I was looking at and my options. I picked this one up yesterday for $120 from a very nice guy I met via craigslist. It needs a bit of work (which I can't do myself), so I won't be able to ride it until my LBS finishes with it. I'm having them do a full tune up, true the wheels, put new brake pads on, etc. But the shifter, cables, brakes, and everything else seemed like it worked fine, so I don't think it'll be an expensive job getting it ready to ride. Plus, the paint, chrome, grips, tires, and saddle were all in pretty good condition. Once I have more money, I might consider switching the wheels out for alloy rims (and adding some creme tires) and getting a larger rear cog for easier gearing (it's hilly where I live, in Chapel Hill, NC), and putting on a leather Brooks. But one thing at a time. Oh, and I think I'm going to buy #2 from a different LBS this weekend--a 23" (the Hercules is a 21"). This will let me see which size I like better, I figure, and I can use one bike as my everyday commuter and the other as a loaner for friends who visit, etc.

Oh, and does anyone know where (other than Harris Cyclery, which charges min. $8.50 shipping) I can get one of those little oil caps for the S-A hub? My Hercules doesn't have one and I don't want to be leaking oil all over the place.