Old 05-24-22, 08:30 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Yeah, I associate washboarding with acceleration, vehicle wheel hop while slightly losing traction (and to a lesser degree braking). Around here, I usually see it in transitions between asphalt and pavement, or around stop signs.

koala logs - my best bet is to use 50+mm tires at ~25psi (700c), and those are going to roll over stuff well. alternatively a redshift stem and/or thudbuster seat post (or similar) can keep your body stable while your bike jumps around beneath you. Either that, or get out of the saddle, and let your knees and arms isolate your torso from the up and down motion. The hard core solution is to get a full sus bike. ;-)
My bike currently doesn't fit 50mm tires it can only fit up to 38mm x 700c with full fenders. I'd probably be getting a new bike eventually. Perhaps push it all the way to 2.4" x 29er tire clearance?? I seem to spend more time riding on bumpy gravel and when it's freshly repaired, the gravel rocks used tend to be large pieces until it's broken up by cars and trucks. It's a rough ride with the large pieces of gravel but not as bumpy after a few weeks and rain.