View Single Post
Old 03-27-23, 05:43 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3472 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,151 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
... If I ever do any more touring, I will keep the key battery in mind if I drive my car.
I have never drained a key battery from it being packed poorly. But my first couple trips after I was diagnosed with diabetes, I kept finding my blood sugar meter battery was dead from the way the meter was packed. So, now I have some extra plastic that functions as a guard for when the meter is packed, a button on it can't be pressed if it is packed too tightly.

So, learning from the meter experience, I might as well be careful with my vehicle key too. Thus, the key goes into a plastic bag and that goes into part of a plastic bottle.

Vehicle key, if the battery is dead, the vehicle should still be unlockable, lockable, and drivable the old fashioned way. So, less critical than my meter that stopped functioning. That said, there are so many different vehicle electronic systems now, on some it might be more critical?