View Single Post
Old 02-09-22, 04:56 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
No. Sometimes I will wash a wheel in the shower after a messy tubeless setup, but generally no. There's just no need to do that with a road bike imo, it just doesn't get that messy.

What I do when a wipe with a wet rag won't do is possibly worse; I get it in the kitchen/living room (the floor is tiled), spray some soapy water, and then a bit of clean water and wipe it all with a rag then relube. Then clean the floor afterwards. Wife doesn't really object because, well, I clean her bikes, too, and clean after myself when I'm done.
Perhaps you are a fair weather rider, nothing wrong with that. Living in a beach area, even if it is dry, when the wind is up, sand gets blown and kicked up into the drive train and other areas. It gets to the point you actually hear the the grit, if it gets bad enough. That has got to go. I know of no way to get that off and out of the chain, gogs, etc. without a hose or some way of using water with a bit of pressure behind it. Using just a spray and wet cloth is likely going to affect the surface of the finish of the frameset. It's like wiping it down with sandpaper, JMO, of course. Personally, I will do it in the shower before the kitchen or other living space, any day. Wash those troubles down the drain. However it gets done, I prefer a clean, quiet bike.