Old 03-06-19, 09:02 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I really like this whole thread. Here we have a bunch of athletes that have dedicated untold hours to their sport saying it's okay to step back. Thank you for being so unlike other people I meet that get so obsessive with their one thing they define their life by it.

I've stepped away from sports before and it can be hard. Like really hard. I remember the day I decided I wasnt going to play club soccer anymore. I was 15 or so and emotionally wrecked. We define ourselves on these things we put our time into. Our whole community; our band of brothers (and sisters) come from these hobbies. Cycling is by far my number 1 social outlet. It's how I make friends and meet new people. I've gone through lows in the off season because I wont see my friends for a long time.

I guess the point I'm making is that the competition doesn't have to be the main point. For every cat 1/2/3 there are probably a hundred guys and gals who just get together to ride and see their friends. If competition isnt motivating you anymore, why put yourself through something you dont enjoy? Personally I've come to enjoy our Tuesday night hammer fest more than racing to some extent. I get to see my buds and ride hard. If I dont stay in shape, i wont be able to hang with my bros and have a good time.This is a hobby, have fun with it.