Old 06-17-22, 07:10 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Have you been shown the New Winner freewheel literature and cog board layout?
It's got the info about what cog types were used on the various configurations. The configuration variations include ultra vs. regular spacing, and whether it was 5, 6, or 7 speed.

and the "service board", which is how bike shops stored and displayed the spare cogs and

You'll need to figure out what cogs and spacers you have, and then figure out what you will need for the desired freewheel.
For SunTour freewheels that aren't New Winners, the cog arrangements will be different.
It's possible that you'll want to take them apart to see exactly what you've got.

Steve in Peoria
Thanks Steve, for sharing the charts. That helps a bunch. I am hunting through the garage and basement for freewheels tonight, in hopes of finding more Suntour parts..

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
The Winner pictured is the original Winner. Notice there are no little holes spaced 180 degrees from each other. I've only had a few of these in my hands and I could never service them. However, the sprockets and spacers should be interchangeable with the New Winner, and vice versa. I'd personally use the New Winner body over the original Winner body.

You should be able to remove both sets of sprockets and mix them together with the 32T onto the New Winner body, as long as you only use either the Ultra-narrow spacers or the standard spacers. You should still have a 120mm compatible freewheel if you use the Ultra spacers.

With that said, I have switched wheelsets on my '71 Paramount. One wheelset could run an Ultra spaced Suntour freewheel, while the other wheelset did not have enough clearance for an Ultra 6 speed and could only handle a 5 speed.

Finally, I have found that Ultra 6 speed freewheels prefer a narrow 8 speed chain, such as a SRAM or KMC model for improved shifting.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks pastorbobnlnh. I appreciate you chiming in with your expertise and wisdom on this subject. If I can find some more Winner freewheels here at home, I will likely use that Ultra 6 body as per your suggestion. I will keep you all posted.
Likes For Roger M: