View Single Post
Old 04-08-20, 09:40 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Daven27
Hi there,

I am planning to build a gravel-type bike using some retro frame. Bike will be used mostly for home-work-home commuting and of course road/offroad trips.

I'm not very experienced with this so I would like to ask you a few questions.
1. Would you suggest me looking for a frames from race bikes or maybe use some MTB frame? I've been looking for some retro race bikes frames like from Gazelle, Raleigh, Miyata, Bianchi etc. and from MTB bikes mainly Trek series 7x,8x and Longus. I came to idea of converting MTB after seeing a Trek 830 converted into gravel bike.
2. Would a 21 inch frame be suitable for 191 cm (6,3") height or should I look for something bigger?
3. If I will buy some vintage frame will modern equipment suit it or it's not guaranteed?
4. I'm mainly looking for steel frames especially made from cro-mo or Reynolds 531 is it a good choice? I don't mind bike be a little bit heavier for more comfort of riding.

If you have any more tips for me then they would be gladly appreciated, thanks!
At 6'3", you'll definitely want a 25"/64cm frame, for road bikes. Subtract maybe 4-5cm for a mountain bike. Depends on your inseam and proportions.

MTB if you are on the heavier side, don't care much about going fast, and don't want to worry about breaking it.

If you like to go faster, a vintage touring bike or early bike boom road racing bike will make a fine gravel bike. Either way. Typically they have 72ª parallel frames with a fairly long wheelbase. Specific examples may vary.

Modern equipment will fit, but sometimes a little adapting is required. Obviously threadless headsets will not work on a 1" threaded steer tube. Main difference is the rear triangle hub spacing. Vintage was either 120/5spd (~60-70s) or 126/6-7spd (80s-early 90s). If you want to use modern 11 speed or whatever, you'll have to respace the frame. This is doable but takes some skills and attention to detail.

Nothing wrong with vintage equipment, BTW. Some things are better now, some not as good. Put some new rubber, brake pads and clipless pedals on a vintage bike, and it becomes a pretty practical machine.
Likes For Salamandrine: