genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
....sour grapes.

Yes, long Beach is a port city. It is planning a comprehensive bikeway network, Gene.

Didn't you read the article?

If you want more information about how and when Long Beach is going to make the port terminals more amenable to bike to and fro, take a look at the Long Beach Bike Master Plan.

I understand how some want to gripe and complain about cities building in better road networks for bicycling, but seriously, Genec? THAT willing to stump about the existing status quo and be an auto-apologist?

Some resources for people wanting to read MORE about Long Beach's efforts to become the most bicycle friendly city in California and america..... maybe San Diego AND honolulu have a few things to learn from Long Beach, eh, Genec?

bike long beach

and the BMP

city of Long Beach Bike Master Plan
Wait, I have no gripes with what they are trying to do, only that they think they are the "most bicycle friendly city in America." That tag is strictly BS. Portland, and Davis are far more bike friendly. Davis blows away most American cities... between bike paths and bike parking and sheer numbers of bikes on the roads. Even Austin, Texas is bike friendly compared to Long Beach... Long Beach for all their improvements has a long long way to go.

Even that area of Seattle where you are, has some pretty interesting bike infra.

Plans are one thing, actual in place good bike facilities are another. San Diego has long had a "Master Plan;" they have barely scrapped the surface of actual implementation. And far too many bike lanes are really gutter traps... when roads are made really useful, then bikes will have arrived. The changes made at the transition to La Jolla from San Diego are really nice, but again in one small area. One has to look at the whole picture.

If a city makes downtown into a bicycle mall, but the only way to get downtown is by interstates... is it really bike friendly?

I just think their slogan is a bit ahead of the cart... so to speak.