Old 02-13-19, 12:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
A rose by any other name. I think we are in general agreement. Cadence & intensity are 2 different things though. The study was done at 120watts intensity. The oxygen use at cadence is what they were studying.

Hypothesis based on my review:
General wasted energy in the athlete (thus an increased oxygen demand in the athlete or more specifically a deficiency in leg muscles) is probably caused by poor form & that's because they are untrained and uncoordinated in their motions. I used the words "flail around," but yeah, they don't do it as good as professionals. Muscle oxygen decreased at 90 rpm. Clearly there is a breaking point where the participants support systems get taxed. To which they concluded there was no benefit in performance in an untrained athlete.

Nothing said about the athletes rate of adaption in subsequent repeats of the activity...interesting & incomplete.

I'd like to see the oxygen use in a well coordinated and fit athlete both under a higher resistance and a low resistance 120 watt load at various cadences.
Keep in mind the reason power meters work so well for calories is that the variation between cyclists in efficiency is really small.