View Single Post
Old 01-31-20, 05:32 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

'91 Marinoni Special TSX is repainted, rebuilt, and back on the road. A few upgrades from the original build (different headset, stem, crankset/pedals, wheelset, and saddle), and I love the green paint. And yes, I know I cross-chained this briefly while pulling over to stop for the pic--it was my first ride on it, and I wasn't really paying close enough attention to only having 8 speeds in the back. Quite the wake-up call when I looked down and saw I was already only 1 shift away from a jammed system. Looks like I can safely get into my 3rd largest cog while in my big ring, and vice-versa with my 3rd smallest cog & small ring--I hadn't used this era Dura-Ace before, but it shouldn't take too long before I don't really need to think my way through my shifting.

Anyway, I must say the frame is simultaneously one of the smoothest and, oddly, stiffest steel frames I've ridden in a long time. Very comfortable while cruising and eats up the road vibrations but stiff enough that it charges with great acceleration and climbs like a champ. This just may be my go-to road bike for the foreseeable future.
Likes For fvernon: