Old 09-04-21, 09:33 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Hi gauvins, your experience with butterfly bars mirrors mine, although I haven't toured with them I've ridden them a fair amount. They work ok but the lack of sweep back bothers my wrists.
Ive always found that dropbars work best for me, and the slight flare out of the drops on my troll are the best drops ice used (salsa cowbells) and as I've mentioned often, I can ride this bike every day with no nerve issues, wrist or finger issues.

re sweep back, when I changed my commuter bike from butterfly to Jones h bars, I really found the sweep back to work well. Jones bars have a large 45 degree sweep back, and they work well, but I can see that less degrees would be nice too. Having some sort of forward facing bar end type things , similar to our hand position on the hoods, would be great also.
The surly moloko, and the rare Denham bars, look very interesting to me--what did you get, you didn't say?

it would be fun one day to talk about your trip,and hear of more details. You really did impressive daily distances.
cheers

oh, width for me gets more important the more I am on dirt and rough stuff, wider giving more control. My dropbars are 42cm, but the drops flare out more, which is nice.
The Jones are really wide, so are great for dirt, but mine are set up a bit high -- which Jones himself recommends. Just today I rode them with a good head wind and the forward position works well for this. My dropbars however work really well in headwinds in the flared out drops, and I've ridden a lot in really windy conditions, and really appreciate this.