View Single Post
Old 04-12-22, 07:56 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Sorry to be such a jerk, but the video posted by Hypno Toad is not the Lock Picking Lawyer. LPL started his review by pointing out that Ti is relatively easy to cut, but because the lock is $100, he only bought the locking cylinder.

So no video of him cutting it. He then proceeded to pick the look in about a minute. I would not say he gave it a positive review for any use beyond a coffee stop lock, but for that it is okay.

I must also point out that he opened the lock I have in just a little bit more than two minutes. While nobody could cut my chain with a hack saw, my lock and chain combo is a pain to carry.

Like LPL pointed out, light, cheap, secure: you can only have two of them. Mine is fairly secure, so I only got one of the three. Sounds like the TiGR also only got one.
You are correct, and sorta a jerk too. The two YouTubers work together, use same/similar methods, and use the same tags (LockPickingLawyer & BosnianBill)

Please post the video you are referring to ... This?

Going back to my bike recovery buddy, he doesn't see thieves picking locks ... they don't have that much finesse. The thieves around here are going for cutting tools and brute-force attacks. And interestingly, the people I know that have had a bike stolen have been in a "secure" apartment parking structure, detached garage break-in, locked inside a car, or on a bike rack. I do not know one person that has had a locked bike stolen from a café stop. (note: cables do not count as 'locked').

Reading The Toads post: " ... this is a lock (TiGr) for a café stop and that's how I'm using it ... quick lock up when I'll be close and/or low risk environments. I have a heavy Abus U-lock plus cable for longer stops, and I ride lower value bikes if I need to leave the bike out for time (baseball game, concert, etc)."

All that said, I've used bikes as my primary transportation for over 10 years in and around Minneapolis and never lost a bike, so I don't suck at picking the combo of lock(s), bike, and lock up location [/knocking on wood]

Likes For Hypno Toad: