View Single Post
Old 04-12-22, 09:35 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I've heard police with decades in the crime division say they've never seen a home or apartment door lock picked open, either. The door is kicked in or a window is busted or the place wasn't even locked up.

I'll sit up and take notice of bike locks being picked open when I see Police reports, documentation of undamaged locks lying open on the ground where the bike was parked, miscreants arrested with pick tools, pick tools dropped in the dark and left behind, CCTV video, etc.

The LockPickingLawyer is a YouTube entertainer. (Fun fact: Harry Houdini got his start on the Vaudeville circuit picking locks on stage.) Hey, I find his videos entertaining, too, but beyond taking notice of the occasional bike lock he messes with that pops open with little in the way of skill or tooling (i.e. shimming or raking), all it is is entertainment. He says he doesn't have the skill to pick open an Abloy 362. Angle grinder, less than a minute.

Sheldon Bown advised using two locks of different types so a thief would have to have two sets of breaking tools. (Using two locks is good advice in any case.) If you're worried about locking picking in the way that I'm not, use two locks with different cylinder technology, so the thief will need the correct two sets of lock picks and be conversant in opening both lock bodies.

I understand a thief might pick a house/apartment/business lock, but we are here talking about bike locks and bike thieves ... there is a difference.

Bike thieves appear to operate differently in different regions. Again, I'm friends with local bike recovery experts and they are not seeing bike locks picked in the Twin Cities area. I'd love to see some details about lock picking stories you've posted. I know too many stories of people literally failing to properly lock the bike, like missing the frame, not closing the lock, or locking to something that is not secure. They will likely think somebody picked the lock, kinda like my neighbor that always leaves their garage doors open said that someone 'broke' into their garage and stole their bikes (the thieves walked in, no need to break anything).

Again, I've posted twice already, when locking up for a longer duration in a lower security place, I'm using two locks. The TiGr might be used to secure the front wheel for example, but the primary lock will be a more robust lock ... and the bike will be an old clunker that has little value to someone with cutting or lock picking tools and I consider the bike expendable if stolen. My post about TiGr is about an light and convenient lock to bring with me on a road ride, where there are no long stops planned.

Bottom line: you're points are not wrong, but they are not right in every single situation. It all depends on a number of factors:
What you are locking up ($100 clunker vs $6,000 dream machine)
Where are you locking up (in the city or out in rural areas)
How long is the bike going to be locked up (20 minutes while you have a snack break or 6 hours while at a concert)
How close are you to the bike (can you see it or is it out of sight)
... etc