View Single Post
Old 11-13-23, 04:58 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
If I was living and working in Manhattan, I’d be car free but in many other places, it is not practically possible to be completely free of cars.
Personally, I see no problem in owning and using cars responsibility. Every year we go camping somewhere, often in places where we cannot go by any other means than cars. Of course, the hardcore bicyclists might argue that I could reach there in a month if I ride 80-100 miles a day. But that would be far more than what I’m willing to do.
On the other hand, I have commuted on a bicycle for many decades. The only time, I stopped using a bicycle when the temp went below -10F. Even when there was more than 12-15 inches of snow that came early in the morning and the city didn’t quite get around to shovel the snow, I could ride my bike to work, albeit very slowly. Majority of the rest of the people didn’t show up until much later than I.

In a family of four, we have had as many as six cars for different purposes. Now there are two of us and have 3 vehicles - again, for very specific reasons, and far too many bicycles, of which at least one gets used every day! 😉