Old 11-24-23, 08:42 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
I like the appearance of Inni stem adapter much better than others that are available. Others are cheap and they maker the whole bicycle look like a cheap Franken-bike.

The only reason for my hesitation is the need to remove a perfectly functional Shimano DA headset and replace it with Inni.
Is there a way to use Inni quill to stem adapter without having to waste the existing headset? If that is possible, I would probably get 3 of them.

It will make for a good weekend winter project.
Yes, sort of. While a full headset is provided, there is no reason aside from aesthetics to replace the lower portion of the headset. I’ve heard from a few customer running expensive headsets that they just left the original lower portion intact. There’s also nothing keeping you from swapping back to that Dura Ace headset later down the road (as would be the case if you modified the fork for a threadless headset).

For the upper, it is a little known fact that my initial innicycle concept did not include a full headset. I initially set out to design an integrated upper race and threadless adapter that would replace only the lock nut and upper race of the original headset. I have CAD somewhere for this design, at least for the Stronglight A9 headset on my Trek 660. It was only when I then started looking into how many variations I’d need to cover all the common headsets on the market that I realized it would be a mistake to proceed that way.

I could go into all the reasons but suffice to say making matching upper races and cups is a lot easier than reverse engineering and producing matching parts for a lot of headsets.

So while that doesn’t help you reconcile your Dura Ace dilemma, hopefully it sheds some light on why the innicycle exists as it does.