View Single Post
Old 11-05-17, 09:26 AM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spartanKid
It's great that you've found a diet that works for you, but if you're talking about the study I think you're talking about, I have a few qualms with it.

Is this the study you're referencing? http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/...131(14)00062-X

If so, it is worth noting that the increased cancer rates were for respondents aged 50-65. The study didn't look at any adults below age 50, (with a mean population age of 65), and that the "high" protein group was anyone who reported their daily calories to be 20% from protein or greater. The study also seems to be focused on looking at what diets are capable of giving people the longest expected lifespan, not necessarily what diet will yield high sports performance.
Hi spartankid!

I just want to point out that my diet works for billions of people. It's a simple variation of Mediterranean and Asian diets. The NIH study I referenced is based on a large body of compelling evidence that suggests consuming large quantities of animal protein leads to cancer.

As for the study you cite, you are reading it wrong. It's a longitudinal study precipitated by laboratory research that indicates a link between animal protein consumption and cancer. The study supported the lab findings.

The age of the group is what I'd expect on a cancer study because it often takes decades for cancer to show up, and that age range is when cancer rates skyrocket. The paper also points out that a follow-up mortality study included people age 18 and older.

It is dangerous to suggest that athletes adopt a diet that will lead to cancer later in life.

Rick