Thread: Saddle Test!
View Single Post
Old 08-21-22, 05:57 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
OP here with an update on this slightly old thread.

The Terry Fly saddle that I ended up selecting did not fare well at London Edinburgh London. In fact i abandon at 520 miles, just over half way, due to saddle related pain. I had saddle-shaped deep bruising at the, uh, saddle to butt interface. I rode much of the last 100 miles out of the saddle, and towards the end all I could think about was ending the pain. Following my own advice, I didn't quit until I was out of time, but time off the bike wasn't enough to improve the situation.

So it's time to try more saddles.

I picked up a Selle Italia Model X used for $30; it's a little wider and a very different shape. Good reviews. It was decent on a 25 miler today, with my butt still a little tender from LEL, but that's no real test. I'm riding a 200k next weekend so we'll see then.

I have a 1000k on the schedule in a few weeks. If nothing better comes along, I'll throw my original saddle back on - a Sella Anatomica. I did finish a 1200 on it, though but that was so painful it kicked off this whole saddle search.

I have noted all the suggested saddles in this thread, I'm just not rich enough to buy them all.
Likes For downtube42: