View Single Post
Old 09-25-22, 10:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
merziac,
I have a friend that "was" a chrome plater(30+ years) and he did only show chrome and did a number of things for me, some will say chrome is harder than steel, however he "Never" recommended using steel wool to "polish" chrome because it would leave micro scratches on the finish.....Bronze wool is better IMO
The OP's fork will never have the lustre that it once had so if they choose to use steel wool that is entirely up to them.....Others may disagree with not using steel wool and TETO.....I "steeill woould" not use it on any chrome that I need to clean. E.R. of O.A. and a through cleaning to remove the specks of rust and if necessary aluminum foil or bronze wool, polish and a real wax etc.
I have not see 06 SW before perhaps the scratches/dulling are not as noticeable.
Best, Ben
Yeah I get it, my buddy has won many, many shows and awards, cars, mc's, boats and more, his show jobs were often worked over without replacing or rechroming anything that could be reworked and restored. He is a master of making it right and reworking lackluster factory finishing and aesthetics. He worked with show chromers along the way as well, got plenty of help and developed techniques along the way.

He runs the only semi size wind tunnel in North America at Freightliner here in Portland and paints many of the R+D prototype trucks with Imron which he has also used for decades.

His day to day pedestrian work has always been better than most supposed "high quality" work, he's pretty good at what he does and there's very little he doesn't do.
Likes For merziac: