View Single Post
Old 03-20-24, 07:23 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I don't see the point unless your deaf. I can even hear EVs tires coming up from behind me. Neither the radar, nor your ears are going to tell if the car is aiming for you to hit you, and even if it could, and a car is barreling down on you at 70 mph just where do you think you're going to go? If someone wants to hit you, they will one way or another, do you really think you're going to dodge it? Mirrors work a lot better for a lot less money, but the limitation is the same as the radar. I don't understand all this fear, I've been riding in traffic for over 40 years including big cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and Detroit, even in rush hour traffic, never worried about being hit from behind or had to constantly look over my shoulder out of fear, if I'm going to be that paranoid to ride a bike I would quit riding! I'm sorry, but I don't have room in my life for fear.

The only time I need to look over my shoulder is to change lanes, and with practice you can look over your shoulder without veering one way or the other.

I even tried riding with a mirror for about a year, nah, never used it again after that.

Your best rear safety measure is to put a very bright 300 plus lumen strobing taillight back there. NiteRider has a 330 lumen tail light called the Omega 330, I have the older Omega 300 and that thing is intensely bright during the day. The 330 is on sale currently at NiteRider.

Speaking of NiteRider, they sell refurbished models of headlights, I bought a refurbished Lumina 1200, it's been a great light, refurbished is subject to availability, but right now they have the same 1200 model that I bought for just $50, normally they are $125, comes with a full warranty too. And those Lumina lights, when the battery no longer will take a charge, for around $30 you can send back and they will replace the battery, check out entire light, and reseal it, and send it back to you.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 03-21-24 at 03:23 PM.