View Single Post
Old 12-12-17, 10:23 AM
pbekkerh
Likes special bikes

Bikes: Solio 1910, Colnago Sprint 1986, Nehan TT 1989, Bianchi Mercatone Uno 1999, Boreas Aër Roadbike 2003, Canondale six13 2004, Ghost SE7000 MTB 2009, Bike Friday Tikit Hyperfold 2011, PlanetX Excocet II 2014 White Fatbike 2021,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
I have tubeless on my MTB for use around my home but not on my touring bike. The tubeless are so much tighter on the rim, that i can't imagine having to pull them off on the road and they are impossible to get back on. I have not tried CO2 but even my small home compressor has trouble blasting the tyre back on the rim.
And I don't see the benefits. They are a bit lighter but how many tenth of a percent are you saving on a loaded touring rig? In the terrain, they can be ridden at a lower pressure but on the road I run my tyres at high pressure anyway. My current tyres are even a bit heavier than standard because I use Schwalbe tyres with all the protection available, I hate to puncture.

****If you have to bring, and some of the time, ride with tubes, where is the weight saving?*****

If you use tubeless with anti puncture solution, that adds weight, and its a mess you don't want to have on your fingers and bike, in the middle of the desert or in the middle of town

I have just been forced to buy TL tyres (tubeless ready) and they are much tighter on the rim. Where I used to be be able to remove and install a tyre by hand, I now HAVE to use a tool.

Last edited by pbekkerh; 12-12-17 at 10:28 AM.