View Single Post
Old 12-12-17, 05:07 PM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
Fortunately I've not had that experience. Most of my riding for the past year has been on tubeless tires, but the only failure so far was when the sealant dried up, and I had to deal with a slow leak until I added more sealant.

Little confusing, though, because you say that if you have to use a tube, you'll end up with a tire that's more susceptible to failure, but then say that when your sidewall fails, you can go happily for months with a tube. I guess it depends on what kind of failure and what kind of tire.

My Almotions seem very robust. I would rather they were a little more supple. I suspect that if I ran them with tubes they'd be almost as stiff as the Marathon Plusses, but running them tubeless, they are okay. They have flat protection that, in a tubeless tire, seems overkill, but I'm sure not worried about getting flats should I ever need to put a tube in.

Really a non-issue for me because I've never sold a wheel. I've used a wheel to the point where no one else would want it, but I've never sold one.
Point was that you can use, and many do us, lighter weight tires tubeless since they don't flat as often. If you do flat and throw in a tube, you'll have a higher chance of flatting again. Nothing absolute as it depends on a number of factors.