View Single Post
Old 05-25-21, 07:39 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have no issue with their presence on our local greenways, as long as the operator is behaving responsibly. I can go faster than every e-bike I have seen on the path. It's all about speed disparity between the rider and other path users.
I don't really have an issue with ebikes on our local greenways, or in our bike paths in general, if the operator is behaving responsibly (even though my sixty-whatever year old, artificially jointed self, pedaling along on my little folding bike, definitely can't go faster than every, or even any, ebike I see on the paths).

But the other vehicles I mentioned above have no place at all on the paths. Electric scooters, designed to move in the flow of automotive traffic, don't belong on bike paths. Traditional scooters, like Vespas, and the zillions of Japanese and Chinese scooters in the city, definitely don't belong on the paths.

What's going to happen is a backlash. The delivery riders are, as I said above, out of control. They are dangerous to pedestrians and to other cyclists. One more pedestrian trying to cross the street is going to get knocked over, maybe even killed, by a delivery rider going way too fast, in the dark, without lights, the wrong way, and there's going to be a massive crackdown. Which is never a good thing. There will be bad behavior on the part of the police department, restrictions affecting all riders will be legislated (and enforced, when the NYPD decides to get back to policing the city), and it won't be good for anyone.