Old 10-17-19, 02:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Two signs close to my house:

File this under ???? What is "Safe Speeds"? These popped up earlier this year on either side of a new seniors apartment adjacent to a rail-trail. I'm sure the seniors are complaining about those 'fast cyclists', but there are no speed limits on these trails. Additionally, I wonder if these same seniors use 'safe speed' when passing me riding my bike on the road while they are driving their minivan?

They put up a bunch of signs about using appropriate speeds on the Minuteman after a rider got killed in a head on with another cyclist. I think this is pretty innocuous, and actually gives cyclists some credit for using their judgment to determine what speed is safe. I wouldn't complain about them posting this instead of posting an arbitrary speed limit--it's really an acknowledgment that the safe speed is going to vary from section to section.

Yeah, if senior housing really is right next to the path, you really probably should slow down for a small stretch. Big deal. If the sign makes the seniors feel a little bit more secure using the path, what's wrong with that?