Old 10-18-19, 08:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Like you, I know my routes well and know when I can put down the power and when the route can hide a danger. I have never crashed with another trail user, ever. And to that point, I don't know of any crashes at this location.

These signs have the same purpose as school zone signs on the roads, the signs explain the reason you need to drive with extra cause, not just 'slow down'. Or a curve sign that's warning you to slow because of the road conditions. Simply "slow down" isn't helpful and just a little annoying.

Three Rivers manages over 240 miles of bike trails. I live where 5 of these trails come together, so I ride most of these 240 miles. Oddly, this the only place I've seen these "safe speed" signs, so they stand out as unique. Like I said before, there are many other seniors facilities along these trails. Funny enough, slow down sign near the middle school would be better, dozens of kids spill on to the trail that runs past the school as classes lets out and they are not paying attention to anything ... ever. (I avoid riding this trail in the afternoon hours, distracted drivers are less dangerous )

Rabbit hole, off topic, long story:
The heartburn is related to the builders of this seniors apartment forcing leases to be broken to accelerate the construction of this apartment (all about the $$$). One of the businesses was where I boarded my dogs, small locally owned business that I'd worked with for years. I had a trip planned and dogs booked, when the developers forced the boarding house to close, leaving me to scrambling to find another place for our dogs on Thanksgiving week. It took that boarding house over a year to find a new location and get back in business. That sucks, it's nothing to do with the people that live there, but was the start of the heartburn.

The next heartburn is it's own thread - https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...rant-hate.html - see the pic in post 5, you can see the apartment in the background.

Lastly, I've been caring for a few elder women in my life during the last few years. To be clear, I am an advocate for the elder (as well as people biking). OTOH I have an issue with the way some are trying to force changes to long existing trails and parks to conform to their wants instead of adapting to the place they picked to live. This article is related, but not directly connected to this issue - Progressive Boomers Are Making It Impossible For Cities To Fix The Housing Crisis

In summation, the signs are just ??? - not a cheer or a jeer, just kinda WTF? and yes, there's a lot of baggage that I bring along this assessment, I'm certain nearly no one else has even noticed the sign.
Thanks! I was confused by your previous post, and this explains it all very nicely. I have to say, though, that I think this sign isn't much of a head scratcher, and is a better approach than the one taken on the Minuteman. They did a series of cutesy signs in the old Burma Shave road sign style. So you come upon a series of signs like this about 50 feet apart:

Sign 1: Lookin' good
Sign 2: In your jersey and bike pants
Sign 3: Watch your speed
Sign 4: This ain't Tour d'France

A few problems with this--
It's actually distracting, taking your eyes off the path multiple times
The signs are temporary on stakes, so oftentimes one or more out of the series gets knocked down, making the whole thing pretty confusing
The only guidance on them is "watch your speed", so it's not especially helpful.
Personally, I find that "cute" gets annoying with repetition
Likes For livedarklions: